What is a Varga Saw?
The Varga Saw uses a small circular saw to cut thin sheet material; timber, aluminum, and plastic. Designed with safety in mind, the Varga saw blade is completely enclosed, and most chips are cleanly deposited in the collection bag.
Why use a Varga Saw?
The Varga Saw has a circular saw blade that runs along a straight track, therefore making straight cuts in thin lightweight materials would be the best use for the Varga Saw.
The Machine Workshop offers a range of training to help you learn how to use different tools. This training includes:
Machine Workshop Website
Read through the website to get an understanding of what the Workshop offers.
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction available every weekday afternoon from 1:00pm - 2:00pm during Open Access hours.
Attend Open Access Session
Additional training and assistance as required can be provided during Open Access times. Just ask one of the Machine Workshop technicians if you have any questions or need any support.
- The tools located in the Forbo Model Making Space require you to complete of the Level 01 Online Induction.
- Tools located in the Machine Workshop require you to complete both the Level 01 Online Induction and Level 02 In Person Induction.
- Prior to using any of these tools for the first time check with staff on their proper usage.
- Students and staff who have completed Level 0, 1, 2 and 3 on relevant machines are able to access the Machine Workshop during Open Access, 1:00pm - 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- The workshop encourages you to learn the tools available and complete your own work. It is a requirement for you to discuss your work with workshop staff prior to commencing any work.
- You do not need to book a time, just complete the required training and come in during an Open Access afternoon session to get assistance with tools and your project. Make sure to bring drawings and a clear idea to discuss with staff so they can assist you.
There is no cost to students for the use of this equipment, however materials should be supplied by the student.