What is a Hand Tool?
The Fabrication Workshop has an assortment of hand tools available for use. These tools listed below are to be used only after completing both Level 1 and Level 2 Workshop Inductions. Prior to using any of these tools for the first time check with workshop staff on their proper usage.
Our Hand Tools
- Hack Saw
- Hand saw
- Wire brushes
- G Clamps
- F Clamps
Why use a Hand Tool?
Hand tools are used to assist in the building process to complete tasks such as sanding, cutting, attaching, and measuring.
The Machine Workshop offers a range of training to help you learn how to use different tools. This training includes:
Machine Workshop Website
Read through the website to get an understanding of what the Workshop offers.
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction available every weekday afternoon from 1:00pm - 2:00pm during Open Access hours.
Attend Open Access Session
Additional training and assistance as required can be provided during Open Access times. Just ask one of the Machine Workshop technicians if you have any questions or need any support.
For a full explanation of the training available visit the Training Centre.
- The tools located in the Forbo Model Making Space require you to complete of the Level 01 Online Induction.
- Tools located in the Machine Workshop require you to complete both the Level 01 Online Induction and Level 02 In Person Induction.
- Prior to using any of these tools for the first time check with staff on their proper usage.
- Students and staff who have completed Level 0, 1, 2 and 3 on relevant machines are able to access the Machine Workshop during Open Access, 1:00pm - 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- The workshop encourages you to learn the tools available and complete your own work. It is a requirement for you to discuss your work with workshop staff prior to commencing any work.
- You do not need to book a time, just complete the required training and come in during an Open Access afternoon session to get assistance with tools and your project. Make sure to bring drawings and a clear idea to discuss with staff so they can assist you.
There is no cost to students for the use of this equipment, however materials should be supplied by the student.
What level of Induction do I need to use hand tools in the Machine Workshop?
Level 1 & 2 Inductions are required to use hand tools in the Machine Workshop. Level 1 is required to use the hand tools in the Model Making Space, with the exception of the cordless drills which require a Level 2 Induction.
Can I grab a hand-tool from the Machine Workshop and use it in the Model-Making Space?
No, any tools from the Machine Workshop are to be used exclusively in the Machine Workshop, unless otherwise authorsed.
Can I sand in the Model Making Space?
No, sanding inside the Fabrication Workshop is done inside the Machine Workshop only.