What is a Bench Grinder?
The bench grinder uses an abrasive wheel as the cutting tool to reduce steel components. The grinder is also used for the sharpening and improvement of metal tools It can produce very fine finishes and very accurate dimensions but also capable of roughing out large volumes of metal quite rapidly.
Why use a Bench Grinder?
The bench grinder is used when working with steel, to make small adjustments to the lengths or angles.
The Machine Workshop offers a range of training to help you learn how to use different tools. This training includes:
Machine Workshop Website
Read through the website to get an understanding of what the Workshop offers.
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction
Attend a Level 03 Machine Specific Safety Induction available every weekday afternoon from 1:00pm - 2:00pm during Open Access hours.
Attend Open Access Session
Additional training and assistance as required can be provided during Open Access times. Just ask one of the Machine Workshop technicians if you have any questions or need any support.
For a full explanation of the training available visit the Training Centre.
- The tools located in the Forbo Model Making Space require you to complete of the Level 01 Online Induction.
- Tools located in the Machine Workshop require you to complete both the Level 01 Online Induction and Level 02 In Person Induction.
- Prior to using any of these tools for the first time check with staff on their proper usage.
- Students and staff who have completed Level 0, 1, 2 and 3 on relevant machines are able to access the Machine Workshop during Open Access, 1:00pm - 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- The workshop encourages you to learn the tools available and complete your own work. It is a requirement for you to discuss your work with workshop staff prior to commencing any work.
- You do not need to book a time, just complete the required training and come in during an Open Access afternoon session to get assistance with tools and your project. Make sure to bring drawings and a clear idea to discuss with staff so they can assist you.
There is no cost to students for the use of this equipment, however materials should be supplied by the student.